“Take a journey on the Chakra Rainbow Bridge“
Using the Chakra system in Psychology,
Click here for your free ebook “Take a journey on the Chakra Rainbow Bridge” on using the chakra system for psychological healing!
The information in this series of articles comes from my experience leading meditations using the chakras in psychotherapy groups and from the book “Eastern Body, Western Mind” by Anodea Judith.
“Notice as you breath deeply into your body, notice as it fills all the way to the base of your spine, to your base chakra. You can see it begin to glow red . . .” Seven women sit in a circle with their eyes closed, consciously breathing while being led in a meditation to open and sense their chakras. The sensation of becoming grounded is palpable in the room as each woman imagines the energy field in her base chakra.
Each woman in the group has a personal and unique story that unfolds for them as the chakra centers are accessed. During the sharing time the stories are listened to and illuminated by the meaning of each chakra. Often psychological insight and healing is experienced through this exercise.
Interest is growing in how to use Eastern methods to supplement Western psychological practice. One such method is the Chakra system. In Eastern thought the chakras are energy fields in our bodies. The basic system includes seven chakras that are located from the base of the spine to the top of our head. They are considered to have certain colors, emotions, and represent major areas of human life.
These areas of life include the physical, emotional, spiritual, and mental planes. It is possible to study the chakra system to explore, heal, and become more integrated throughout all these areas. Anodea Judith explains, “It can be used as a tool for diagnosing and healing”. (p. xi) The seven chakras represent major areas of human life and “describes the energetic structure through which we organize our life force” (p. xii)
The colors of the rainbow correspond to the colors of the chakras. It has been described as the “rainbow bridge” that we can follow to reach a sense of balance and peace, of wholeness and integration. The rainbow is an archetypal image that appears in many traditions to represent a spiritual connection to divinity. We begin the journey from the lower chakras of physical and practical concerns through to the higher chakras of mental and spiritual realms.
- The first chakra, called the base chakra, is located at the base of the spine. It corresponds to the color red and concerns itself with issues of survival, physical identity, and self-preservation. It says I have a right to be here.
- The second chakra is located in the lower abdomen. It corresponds to the color orange and concerns itself with sexuality and emotions, emotional identity, and self-gratification. It says I have the right to feel.
- The third chakra is located in the solar plexus. It corresponds with the color yellow and concerns itself with power and will, ego identity, and self-definition. It says I have the right to act.
- The fourth chakra is located in the heart. It corresponds with the color green and concerns itself with love, social identity or persona, and self-acceptance. It says I have the right to love and be loved.
- The fifth chakra is located in the throat. It corresponds with the color blue and concerns itself with communication, our creative identity, and self-expression. It says I have the right to speak and hear truth.
- The sixth chakra is located in brow. It corresponds to the color indigo and concerns itself with intuition and imagination, our archetypal identity, and self-reflection. It says I have the right to see.
- The seventh chakra is located in the crown. It corresponds with the color violet and concerns itself with cognition, thought, and awareness, our universal identity, and self-knowledge. It says I have the right to know.
We will explore the chakras as they relate to developmental stages and tasks, identity issues, physical characteristics, and how to balance each chakra through healing practices and creative affirmations.
Download your free e-Book for more information:
“Take a journey on the Chakra Rainbow Bridge“
from the lower chakras of physical and practical concerns through to the higher chakras of mental and spiritual realms.
In this e-book you will learn how to use the chakra system to support emotional health, using meditation, affirmations, and an understanding of how the Eastern Chakra system corresponds to Western psychology.
Download your free copy
Learn how the chakras can be used as a tool
to focus affirmations, meditations,
and enhance emotional health
*your email will not be given to anyone else, you may receive email from heartsongtherapy.com – which you may opt out of at any time.
click on this link for a sample chapter on the Third Chakra
Click here for an interesting interactive chakra model by Carolyn Myss